Hutchesons’ Pre-school is committed to providing a safe, secure and nurturing environment in which children will flourish.
By supporting and challenging children through a rich, active play - based curriculum, we ensure that every child fulfils his or her potential.
Underpinning all that Hutchesons’ represents are our six core values - Honesty, Resilience, Independence, Curiosity, Creativity and Compassion - which shape our vision for Pre-School education.
Our aim is to;
- Foster and develop children’s creativity and curiosity, giving them time to explore and shape their own ideas.
- Promote self-confidence, independence and an inquisitive mind-set, sowing the seeds for life-long learning.
- Identify opportunities for children to discover and gain a better understanding of the wider world and their place in it.
- Develop an awareness of self and others, leading to an understanding of the value of mutual respect and cooperation.
- Provide a broad-based, balanced curriculum incorporating key skills to ensure a seamless transition to Primary 1.
- Encourage an open and positive partnership between nursery, home and the wider community.
Above all, our key priority is the happiness, health and well-being of every child in our care.
The Pre-School unit will be situated within the Primary School at Kingarth Street and, in the first session, will cater for approximately 16 pre-school children. We aim to introduce a second pre-school class with a similar roll in 2018/19.
Hutchesons’ enjoys an enviable reputation for excellence so, to guarantee pre-school education of the highest quality, the facility will be managed by Mrs Amanda Wilson (Depute Rector, Infants) and be teacher- led with a broad-based balanced curriculum, including specialist teaching in Art, Music, P.E. and Modern Languages.
Access to outdoor areas is crucial in a pre-school child’s learning and development, so a secure, dedicated play area will be developed on the grassed area at the front of Infant building.
The Pre-School calendar will follow that of the whole school and be term- time only. Children will be expected to attend on a full-time basis, five days per week from 9am-3pm, although a ‘soft start’ will enable arrival from 8am. In addition, flexible wrap-around care will be provided by fully qualified early learning practitioners from 3pm to 6pm, giving parents the option of choosing the days on which they require this service.
Oscars, an established childcare holiday camp, operates from the senior school during the Easter and Summer holidays. This will be open to pre-school pupils from Summer 2019.
An application form can be downloaded here and should be returned with a one-off registration fee of £25 to: Admissions Registrar, Hutchesons' Grammar School, 21 Beaton Road, Glasgow, G41 4NW.
Pre-school application form
Pre-school launch letter