SQA Exam Results 2020
We are delighted that the difficulties brought about by the coronavirus have not hindered our staff or pupils in their quest for top examination grades.
This is the fifth year running that over 67% of all Highers awarded to our Fifth Year are at grade A. In fact, this year is our best ever set of results at this stage, with 69% of all Fifth Year Highers being grade A. We have a large cohort year-on-year, and 152 candidates makes this year no exception.
We would like to thank the SQA whose staff have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to check and verify our estimates, this cannot have been an easy task.
The Rector, Colin Gambles, now in his fifth year with the school, said, “This has been a challenging and most unusual year. I would like to pay testimony to the huge amount of sheer hard work that has been undertaken by our fantastic staff to ensure that Hutchesons’ Grammar School always provides first class education. These results provide evidence of how hard the pupils had been studying throughout the year, and how that hard work was able to be used to provide the SQA with the evidence that they needed to award these fantastic grades”.
He added: “There is a tangible work ethic at the school, with all being united in the quest for academic success. It is ‘cool to be clever’, to work hard, and to play hard. I am very proud in what we have achieved together this year”.
The vast majority of our S6 leavers have once again secured their first choice university place to study courses ranging from Animal Biology and Archaeology to Fashion and Textiles, Film and Television Studies and Music. Individual pupil choices remain impressively varied with successful applications to Medicine, Vet Medicine, Law, Engineering and Economics alongside a wide selection of disciplines from the Arts and Social Sciences, the Sciences and Professional degree faculties. Pupils will be heading off to an array of destinations including Russell Group universities across the UK.
- 152 candidates with 69% of all Highers awarded at grade A
- This was another strong cohort and is our best ever set of results at this stage.
- This makes the fifth year running with over 67%of all Highers awarded to our Fifth Year are grade A.
- The school has an amazing level of consistency in returning year after year with such successes.
- 25 pupils, 16% of the year, gained 6 straight grade A at Higher
- Another 39 gained 5 A grades, which makes over two young people in five gaining at least 5 As.
- On average 5 Highers per candidate.
- 93% pass rate at Advanced Higher
- 63% at grade A, 84% at grades A and B.
- 79% of all N5 at grade A
- 91% at grades A and B